Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

This week I seen one of my all time favorite movies, A Clockwork Orange. It came out a little bit before my time so I was really excited to finally see it theatrically. It definitely tops my list as my favorite Kubrick film and one of Malcolm McDowell's best performances. If you don't know it is about a charismatic delinquent, Alex DeLarge (Malcolm McDowell) is jailed and later volunteers for an experimental aversion therapy developed by the government in an effort to solve society's crime problem... but not all goes to plan. (thanks IMDb) Lets first start with some trailers ...

Yet again Boogie Nights.


Let's go on a voyage for the Holy Grail.


And lastly the return of a Professional Wrestler.


Alright back to the movie, to start out I love the dialog. It is a made up slang that is the same as the book. It only took me a few minutes in the movie on my first viewing to understand what most of the slang meant. I would love to say that it is pretty quotable but I'm pretty sure that a bunch of people might not understand what the hell you are saying. I know that the book talked about it as well but I did enjoy how the classical music was used whenever they showed a little bit of the old ultra-violence. I know that it is supposed to take place in the near future but I thought that this movie had a distinct 70's feel to it. Also I'm not sure if it was just Kubrick but this movie is very sexual, not just the nudity but the artwork as well. I thought it was a little ironic that Alex happened to run into everyone that he had wronged immediately after hew was "cured". He was rescued by Dim and Georgie from getting beaten by bums to only be tortured more, then seeks refuge at the house where the beat a man an raped is wife. Lastly I really enjoy the book by Anthony Burgess, and I wish that the movie didn't end when it did and had the last chapter from the book. Also there were a few things that were cut from the book for the movie, but I don't think that it took anything away from the movie. Here's a few interesting scenes ...

There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.
Photobucket

The psychedelic Korova Milkbar.
Photobucket
I wish there were bars that actually looked like this.

Best gang fight next to The Warriors. "Lets get 'em boys!"
Photobucket

"Singing in the Rain" a great song to sing while doing a little bit of the old ultra-violence.
Photobucket

Hello, Lucy. Had a busy night? We've been working hard, too. Pardon me, Luce.
Photobucket

Is it just me or is this an extremely gay moment?
Photobucket

You see that ... 2001 A Space Odyssey soundtrack.
Photobucket

The helping hand of a maniac.
Photobucket

Great interrogation technique.
Photobucket

An interesting experiment.
Photobucket

Alex is cured, but no one wants him. All he can think about now is to snuff it.
Photobucket

I jumped, O my brothers, and I fell hard but I did not snuff it, oh no. if I had snuffed it, I would not be here to tell what I have told.
Photobucket

Next week: Army of Darkness
Photobucket

No comments: